Show MenuHide Menu

Finger condoms

September 21, 2010

Picture 4

I found these finger condoms at the 100 yen store last night. I’m not sure what they’re useful for, but the packaging promises that they will safely protect your fingers during household chores, office work, and other activities.

12 Comments
September 21, 2010 at 5:42 am

I think in English they are called finger cots. I’ve seen them used in semiconductor packaging, for applications where you don’t need a full glove but shouldn’t be leaving fingerprints. They are also used in the medical field. They are less sweaty than full gloves.

September 21, 2010 at 5:46 am

i used to use these when i worked in a photo printing lab, to flick through prints :)

September 21, 2010 at 7:37 am

They’re good for anything that might get your finger dirty, but requires the finesse of a bare hand, when you have a nasty cut on your finger. It leaves all your other fingers free, but protects the hurt one.

September 21, 2010 at 10:29 am

when shopping in Japan, I tried many condoms but none would fit(I am no superman andperhaps this is not the place, or I am a jerk for sharing) and always a battle in the bed to get small restrictive thing on-maybe I bought the wrong product by mistake of kanji ignorance!

September 21, 2010 at 11:51 am

Saw these a lot when I worked in the deli during my college days. Cut your finger on a sandwich knife, you bandage it up, then slide one of these bad boys over the top. More hygienic that way.

September 21, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Here in Japan I’ve seen it a few times for people counting money.

September 22, 2010 at 8:31 am

My office lady used to use these whenever payday came around or she was counting a lot of papers that might leech ink.

September 22, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Sometimes I see cashiers at the local Mitsuwa market wearing these to handle your change.

September 23, 2010 at 5:04 am

We use thiose in watchmaking so that we don’t leave oily fingerprints on movement.

September 26, 2010 at 5:33 pm

I’ve used these to build waterproof switches for a motorized towing device. They’re more durable than balloons, and have a good diameter for a handle.

October 7, 2010 at 12:55 am

Gee, they do have a lot of uses.
I’m a doctor, and you really don’t want to know why we use them.

September 20, 2012 at 12:03 am

They are indeed also used as condoms for fingers, for safer sex when fingering.