I’m back home after a week in South America. What did I think? I think all Japanese should become Japanese-Brazilians. Here are 10 reasons why (in no particular order):
1. The sunset in Rio kicks the sunset in Tokyo’s ass.
2. Brazil has some of the coolest night clubs in the world. This
one, called Rio Scenarium, is a giant three-story building on the
oldest residential street in Rio. It’s filled with antiques, giant
comfy couches, live music, and porcelain dolls.
3. Because Brazilian-Japanese people are on average taller, fitter, and better-looking than their counterparts in the homeland.
4. To find Jesus. Look, he’s on top of a giant rock!
5. Agua de coco
6. The food! This delicious fish and scallop dish was eaten at a restaurant called Chakra in Sao Paulo. Super fancy.
7. The music. This is a band called Enemies of HP, a geek samba band formed by a bunch of ex-engineers who named their band after their collective loathing of an HP calculator.
9. You can bond with monkeys!
10. Beach volleyball all day,every day!
Read more about the Japanese community in Brazil here.